Social Spaces on the Internet: social ( signals + media )
Public Displays and Performance
1. Erving Goffman. The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life. (Performances Chapter). (Sent via email list)
2. X. Zhao, N. Salehi, S. Naranjit, S. Alwaalan, S. Voida, D. Cosley. The Many Faces of Facebook: Experiencing Social Media as Performance, Exhibition, and Personal Archive. CHI 2013.
3. Zeynep Tufekci. Grooming, Gossip, Facebook, and MySpace. Information, Communication & Society, 11:4, 554-564. 2008.
Find examples of social grooming in three different online communities.
Briefly explain the community, explain the nature of the grooming and
how its influenced by the design of the site.
2. Find 3 examples of performance, 3 examples of exhibition, and
3 examples of personal archiving in at least 2 different online
3. From the interface design point of view, what
elements/features/applications of social network sites encourage
specific types of signals/actions (such as grooming, archiving,
etc.)? Is there a feature/app that you would like to include on a
stie? One that you would like to remove?
should be submitted via compass in PDF form.
Late responses will not be accepted.
For more information, please review the University Student Conduct Code for Academic Integrity.