Social Spaces on the Internet: social ( signals + media )
Signals of Status
1. Eric Gilbert. Phrases That Signal Workplace Hierarchy. CSCW12.
2. Lee Sproull and Sara Kiesler. Connections. MIT
Press. 1993. Chapter 4, Electronic Group Dynamics.
3. Feltovich, Nick, Rick Harbaugh, and Ted To. Too Cool for School: Signalling and Countersignaling. RAND Journal of Economics 33, no. 4. 2002.
Write upThis week's write up is more free-form.
1. Discuss 2 examples of countersignalling in online social media (in detail).
2. What cues may convey status online? What are the costs of
misrepresenting them? Choose an online space (Facebook, Klout, Ravelry, personal forums, etc.) and describe.
3. Discuss the mechanisms for hierarchy on Klout.com or similar computational reputation generating infrastructure.
should be submitted via compass in PDF form.
Late responses will not be accepted.
For more information, please review the University Student Conduct Code for Academic Integrity.