Social Spaces on the Internet
Public Displays and Performance
1. Erving Goffman. The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life. (Performances Chapter). (Reading in Compass)
2. X. Zhao, N. Salehi, S. Naranjit, S. Alwaalan, S. Voida, D. Cosley. The Many Faces of Facebook: Experiencing Social Media as Performance, Exhibition, and Personal Archive. CHI 2013.
3. E. Moignan, S. Lawson, D. A. Rowland, J. Mahoney, P. Briggs. Has Instagram Fundamentally Altered the 'Family Snapshot'? CHI 2017.
4. Zeynep Tufekci. Grooming, Gossip, Facebook, and MySpace. Information, Communication & Society, 11:4, 554-564. 2008.
Find examples of social grooming in three different online communities.
Briefly explain the community, explain the nature of the grooming and
how its influenced by the design of the site.
2. From the interface design point of view, what
elements/features/applications of social network sites encourage
specific types of signals/actions (such as grooming, archiving,
etc.)? Is there a feature/app that you would like to include on a
stie? One that you would like to remove?
3. Look at an online social network that includes
photographs, preferably one you frequent. Discuss how people
perform/archive on this site and compare and contrast it to how people
perform/archive on a different site that incorporates photographs.
should be submitted via compass in PDF form.
Late responses will not be accepted.
For more information, please review the University Student Conduct Code for Academic Integrity.